The MA5D ICWS is a gas-operated, magazine-fed, automatic assault rifle designed to execute close-quarters combat with lethal efficiency, regardless of hostile counter-op, environmental conditions, or duration of use in the field. The MA5D fires the 7.62 NATO round. Like previous incarnations, the MA5D also contains a built-in ammo counter and compass.
- Like the MA37 from Halo: Reach, the MA5D is a general-purpose weapon. It lacks long-range accuracy, however, and therefore it's wise to pair it with a more precise weapon like the DMR or Battle Rifle.
- Like the majority of the Assault rifles throughout the series, it is best to go full-auto at close range and use short, controlled bursts for medium range.
- Be careful when going up against close-range instant-kill weapons. It is best to walk backwards while firing in effective bursts so that you won't have to reload or waste ammo on wild shots.
- Focus on one opponent, because although the MA5D is ferociously dangerous in close quarters, you may find yourself not having enough ammunition in the magazine to handle two enemies at a time. Take down one, reload, then go after your next foe.
- It is easy to overestimate an Assault rifle's performance while going full-auto due to the sheer rate of fire, but you'll only be wasting your bullets if the enemy is farther away than close range. At default, the reticle is very small, meaning that the first bullet fired from your MA5D will be a bulls-eye, but the reticle rapidly increases in size as you continue to hold down the trigger. To combat this, practice your trigger control until you're able to shoot in 2-round, 3-round, and 4-round bursts while focusing on keeping the reticle as close to your opponent as possible.
Changes from the MA37 ICWSEdit
- Main article: MA37 Individual Combat Weapon System
- Maximum ammunition is decreased from 288 to 224 rounds (256 with Ammo Tactical Package).
- Increased damage.
- Slightly slower firing speed.
Changes in the Halo 4 Weapon Tuning UpdateEdit
- Main article: Weapon Tuning Update
- Capable of killing in three fewer rounds.
- Auto-aim angle has been reduced.
- Projectile spread has been decreased.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- Smaller reticle/higher accuracy.
- Reloads faster.
- Added headshot multiplier.
- Magazine now holds 36 rounds with a maximum of 216 rounds.
- Weapon has increased vertical recoil.
- Main article: Halo Online
|MAG Assault Rifle||
|DMG Assault Rifle||
|ROF Assault Rifle||
|SNP Assault Rifle||
|ADV Assault Rifle||
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians
In Halo 5: Guardians' Warzone Multiplayer gametype, the player can spawn with variants of the MA5D assault rifle. Once found as REQ cards, they can be used an infinite amount of times without using up the card, once a particular energy level has been reached.
Variants are comprised of a scope as well as an attachment. There are three scope types and 7 different attachments:
|Projection Sight||The default Assault Rifle has no scope, and when smart scope is used, the screen is simply magnified.|
|Recon Sight||This sight is the one equipped on the Battle Rifle by default. When smart scope is used, the player's Spartan looks down the length of the weapon, through the Recon scope.|
|Longshot Sight||This sight is equipped by default on the DMR. The player's Spartan looks down the sights when smart scope is used, and the sight fills the screen.|
|Hybrid Scope||This sight is equipped by default on the Covenant Carbine. The player's Spartan looks down the length of the weapon when smart scope is used.||N/A|
- Default - By default, there are no attachments and no benefits are offered.
- Long Barrel - The Long Barrel attachment lengthens the weapon's barrel, thereby increasing the effective range.
- Laser Sight - This attachment adds a laser sight to the side of the weapon, and increases weapon accuracy.
- Silencer - The Silencer suppresses the sound of the weapon firing and removes the controller vibration when firing. When using this weapon and firing, it will mask your position on the motion tracker more than a usual weapon.
- Extended Mag - This attachment increases both the magazine and reserve ammo capacity of the weapon.
- Stabilization Jets - This attachment adds small jets of gas near the end of the barrel. They reduce recoil when firing.
- Energy Bayonet - An energy bayonet is added to the end of the weapon, which increases melee damage to an instant kill, and allows the melee to be used at a longer range.
- Knight Blade - A Knight Blade bayonet is added to the end of the weapon, which increases melee damage and knockback with increased effectiveness against vehicles.
- Kinetic Bolts - Kinetic Bolts adds orange Forerunner hardlight to the end of the weapon, and increases damage against vehicles as well as the knockback the weapon causes. Also adds the disintegration aesthetic upon death of the target, like most other Promethean weapons.
- Threat Marker - Marks threats for a short time.
- An exclusive Prime skin for the MA5D was available to those who purchased the Halo 4 Limited Edition. This skin was later made available in the Game of the Year Edition along with other previously exclusive weapon skins.
- The Commissioning (First appearance)
- Halo 4
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Halo: Spartan Strike
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo 5: Guardians
- ↑ Fire rate acquired by timing with a stopwatch to the nearest millisecond. Mathematics used: Number of rounds fired (N) divided by the time required to fire those rounds (T) multiplied by 60 = rounds per minute. Example: N / T * 60 = RPM